Confessions of a homesteader

The realities of homesteading, can you save money? Can you make money homesteading?

You see, seven years ago when I wanted to homestead I had several specific goals in mind and I had a question... Could we raise the majority of our own food? So this was our main goal... to raise as much of our food as we possibly could.

The goal was accomplished a couple years ago!! We were rolling!! Producing over 90% of all the food we consumed!! We rarely darkened the grocery stores doors. And even then it was only to buy coffee, chocolate and paper products!
Yes, it was quite an accomplishment!! It wasn't easy. It was the most brutal thing I've ever done.. rewarding though?? yes..well, of course at times! Who doesn't like to meet a goal! And yes, the food is good!
But mostly it was brutally hard, no breaks or vacations. Tons of stress.
And as I've said this before, it's like living on a job site where nothing is ever done. Think about it.. would you want to live at your place of employment?

Harsh Realities about Money
Also, I did want to see if homesteading would save us money and most of it really didn't at all!!  This is a great misconception when people get into farming. Especially in livestock farming. You will quickly realize their feed store bill is as much ( or more) as their grocery store bill. Think about it,, if it was really cheaper and such a fun simple life wouldn't everyone be doing it? Don't believe the hype about all animals working together... another kind of animal means another learning curve and a new set of problems to avoid..and another mouth to feed.  If farming multi-species livestock and mono-cropping weren't good at producing mass amounts of food more easily and cheaper big ag wouldn't do it! You can not buy supplies and feed as cheaply as big ag... end of story. So if you're thinking of making farming livestock/meat a profitable business you better have something extra special. More on that in other posts because yes! there are plenty of possibilities to be profitable with a small farm with livestock if its done right.

But, If your only reason to raise livestock is to save money, you will probably be very disappointed for the most part. I'm not even talking equipment and infrastructure here... its mind blowing what farm equipment costs!!! Even with our cheap DIY hacks, things for farming are just expensive and livestock always finds a way to tear something new up... especially goats, most pigs (not meishans) and rams. Oh, don't get me started on rams!!
Thankfully we do not depend on our farm to produce income to pay all our bills (just some!), but we also can't go broke feeding livestock. We would have long had to give up the goal if we had! So no, we didn't go to the grocery store for much, but the workers at the feed store know my husband by name!
There are very few kinds of livestock that you can raise that will actually bring in more money than they cost to keep up. But they are out there and I made really good profits on them! Yes, yes! More posts on that too!

There is hope though!
The garden will save you money, lots of money if you're big veggie eaters like us! Especially if

  1. You start your own seeds, 
  2. Only plant things that do well in your area!
  3. Keep it going all year 4 season gardening is where it's at honey
  4. Learn to preserve, preserve, preserve!
  5. Know your enemies and be prepared to battle them. Some garden pest can wipe out a crop overnight!
  6. You must have an excellent and huge fertilizer source to grow all your own veggies (I'm talking grain corn to here too, a huge nutrient hog!). I had goats, rabbits, sheep, llamas and still not enough manure to properly fertilize my expansive 4 season gardens. I did composting, cover crops, manure, comfy teas and We still had to truck in manure! It wasn't until I added equine that I had enough fertilizer to keep my veggies happy. Which by the way manure is a good extra income source if you don't garden on your homestead and want to sell it! I should know I used to have to buy enough of it!

Can homesteading save you money?

There's an investment in infrastructure and equipment there too. Much time and sweat to build good soil. Still no walk in the park and the break even point will vary depending on what infrastructure and equipment you've invested in.
Ultimately it will depend on how good you actually are at gardening.
If you're good at it and love it you can make a good income from Market Gardening. I know many who do! Here's one of my favorite resources for that subject Growing for Market

 Another Reality 
Some people do not realize this but You may or may not get a better quality of food depending on what and how your raising your livestock or how you're growing your gardens. If you feed your livestock cheap junk you're probably not going to be eating any healthier than you could have bought at the store. If you don't feed your soil your veggies won't do well nor will they be high in nutrients for you. You will know how the animal was treated and that's very important too.

There are lots of stresses in farming which in my case has been the worst possible thing for my health. All the healthy food in the world won't help you if you stay stressed out all the time! I can promise you that! So we made some changes.. and I had to learn to destress... 7 years with no days off can do that to a person.

We decided last year that it was time to do other things. To focus on a real farm 'business' (which has taken off!) and the things that truly made a difference.
Finding balance that will allow for time away if we want or recreation here on the farm without feeling like we are dropping the ball on something.
Its been the best choice I've made in a long time. I finally feel like my farm is my home and not my employer.
7 years is a long time for no vacations, no time off when the work itself is so hard. Both physically and emotionally. Maybe it won't affect you like it did me but it is certainly something to consider.

Still Feeling Blessed on the Homestead!

Managing the stress of farming is as important as it is for any job

Don't misunderstand...I've enjoyed much of the journey and thankfully my husband didn't let us go broke in the process! (He's the numbers guy! and I'm extra thankful because I am not so good at that stuff!)
But its just really time to focus on the only things that make a difference to our income and the betterment of our lifestyle.

 I'm very blessed to have been given the opportunity to reach the goal I set of growing over 90% of all our food. I'm very thankful!!
I've loved much of it and learned SO much! I LOVE that we accomplished this despite its difficulties and stresses. In a 'have to' situation I know what I can grow and how to use the many skills I've acquired reaching the goal. 
And I know wha iss realistic about farming and growing.. and what is simply hobby farm legend. 

Its just time to make this a home again, not a production plant with never ending work and endless livestock feed bills. 
Enjoy the farm and the truly beautiful land I've been blessed to have. 
I often see people who move to the farm and rave about how they love the person they become, they are a different person on farm...and its true. Farming changes you. Sometimes good, but sometimes not...
 I personally never disliked the person I was and I decided I'd like to get some of that easy going, stress-free girl back!! 

I have been led to many things over these years... successes and failures all led me to where I am.
And I'm thankful for it...so very thankful! God is Good!

And He certainly never said growing food would be easy... Genesis 3:17-19

Nope He never said that 🤣

No comments:

Post a Comment